Monday, 26 November 2018

Goal Reflection


My Goal this year was to teach and manage groups effectively within a collaborative environment.

I think coming from a small single cell classroom into this environment was a bit of a mind shift for me, I hadn't even done placements in environments like this before coming to KNS, so it was all a bit of a leanring curce .

Though I was nervous at first about finding my voice and my feet, especially around such experienced teachers, I eventually felt more comfortable to teach with my own style and adapt the programme to suit me where I could.
I have been really appreciative of the other teachers around me who have helped, supported and guided me, at times when I have really struggled. I have realized through being here and being more comfortable, that the other teachers in the space arent there judging you, but are there to help.
I feel more comfortable moving around the classroom space and moving my class around. I feel more flexible with my teaching and ability to try new things and just go with the flow.

Next year I need to focus on keeping consistency with my groups in terms of behaviour. I find sometimes I'm 'onto them' and have them all sitting down how I want and other times I don't. It leaves the kids at times not 100% knowing where they stand.

I would also like to be using materials more in maths and sitting on the ground during workshops instead of just teaching from the whiteboard. This may help students grasp the understanding of concepts more.

I am keen next year to keep using/ being a supporting teacher in our learning space as this only enhances lessons when people are all feeding in. I am going to continue to have content that engages students and make/maintain relationships with them in order for them to feel successful and happy at school.

I have really enjoyed working in our learning space much more than I thought I would. I feel I have grown and contributed to the classroom space more and more as the year has gone on and this has made me feel much more comfortable and at ease teaching here.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Celeste for sharing your evidence that supports your teaching criteria expectations. You certainly have met your goal this year and slotted in well to a collaborative environment. You relationships with staff, students and especially whanau has developed as you openly communicate. As workload has fluctuated, you have open seek support where needed, but I am so impressed with how you just get on with your role as a Year 7/8 teachers. By far, you excel expectations for a teacher in their second year of teaching. I look forward to seeing you grow next year as you use your skills of a collaborative 3 to guide Phil and Olivia.

    ReplyDelete